Sciatica is pain, weakness, numbness, and tingling in the leg. The main cause of this condition is pressure or damage to the sciatic nerve – nervus ischiadicus, the largest nerve in the body that begins in the lower back and continues down the legs. In most cases, sciatica can be treated within a few weeks. Home treatment includes combining hot and cold compresses a few times per day for the first few days; gentle stretching can also be helpful. To help to relieve the pain some people take over-the-counter medications while others use pain-relief cream. Find out in this article which is the best cream for sciatica pain.
Sciatica can often be treated with self-care and with no medical attention. Even though sciatica usually withdraws within a few weeks, physical therapy can help recover and lower the risk of future injuries to the sciatic nerve. If symptoms or if the pain lasts longer than a week is severe or becomes progressively worse its time to visit the doctor. Home treatment may be all that’s needed, especially if the reason for sciatica is known. But even if the reason causing sciatica is unknown, steps can be taken to relieve the pain at home.
To find out more about sciatica click HERE.
Home treatment for sciatica include:
- exercises – Simple exercises and stretches can help ease sciatica pain and can help improve your strength and flexibility. Exercises that alleviate most sciatica pain are stretches that can externally rotate the hip to provide some relief.
- massage, to improve blood circulation in the affected area – Massage therapy provides a way to help ease your sciatica pain through a combination of: relaxing tight muscles, improving blood circulation, and reducing stress
- therapeutic, relaxing baths – A soak in a hot bath can relax the nervous system and also assists in drawing toxins out of the body. The warm water increases circulation and reduces inflammation, which provides relaxation that many find as a great relief for sciatic pain.
- heating pads – A combination of hot and cold packs can help relieve sciatica pain. A cold pack can reduce inflammation, which is associated with sciatic nerve pain, while heat helps to increase the blood flow to this area.
- natural creams/ ointments/ gels– Effective and specialized natural creams for sciatica have appeared only recently, and their effectiveness is surprising. So far, the most effective have been those with Curcuma Longa root oil (turmeric), zingiber officinale root oil (ginger), aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera), camphor, etc.
- medical creams and gel – Effective medical creams and gels have been on the market for a long time. In most cases, these are creams that contain ibuprofen, diclofenac diethylamine… They are also known as “pain-relief creams”. They have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Treatment with creams, gels, and ointments is very effective for easing sciatica symptoms, relieving the pain, and reducing the inflammation and swelling. Natural ingredients locally applied, penetrate through the skin directly to the muscles, nerves, and spinal disks.
Often worsened by prolonged sitting (or by sneezing, coughing, or laughing), sciatica pain can range from a mild ache to a piercing sensation marked by burning and tingling.
Natural ingredients that help with sciatica
Man and nature have been caring for each other since the early days. It is well known that nature offers a solution and help with many diseases that bother the modern man. Help for pain and inflammation caused by sciatica, joint pain, arthritis, etc. comes in the form of the following natural ingredients:
Ginger – contains a compound called “sesquiterpene.” This compound gives the ginge its analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-spasmodic effect. It has been proven that ginger has anti-inflammatory effects. Besides relieving the feeling of pain, ginger helps to prevent the development of chronic inflammations in the body, and can also alleviate existing inflammation. Though more studies are needed ginger extract helps with joint and muscle pain because it contains phytochemicals, which help stop inflammation. Add ginger to your food, or if you can, eat fresh pickled ginger. Ginger is often recommended for those suffering from arthritis and sciatica to control its symptoms.
Turmeric – this spice has been used to relieve arthritis, sciatica pain, and heartburn, and to reduce inflammation. It’s uncertain how turmeric works against pain or inflammation, but its “power” may lie in the chemical called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin has the potential to weaken inflammation and discomfort associated with sciatic nerve pain, spinal cord injuries, and back pain related to herniated disks. Include turmeric in your daily diet or take pure turmeric to ease pain caused by inflammation.
Turmeric is powerful with the capability of improving our immune system response.
Eucalyptus– applied directly to the skin, the plant is used for treating aches and pains.
Eucalyptus leaves include tannins that are used for the treatment of inflammations. The oil derived from the leaves and branch tips contain cineole, which is a natural antiseptic.
Eucalyptus is known for its warming and soothing effect, as well as anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
Eucalyptus makes the perfect choice to target sciatica symptoms of nerve pain and leg spasms.
Camphor – is obtained from the camphor tree (an evergreen tree that grows in Asia) older than 50 years. Camphor is a waxy, flammable, transparent solid with a strong aroma. Camphor is commonly applied as a cream or ointment to relieve itching from insect bites, minor skin irritation, or joint pain. It is absorbed in the skin, where it stimulates nerve endings sensitive to heat and cold, producing a warm sensation when firmly applied, or a cool sensation when applied gently. The action on nerve endings also induces slight local analgesia. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it useful in healing infections. It acts as a local anesthetic and helps with degenerative changes in muscles and joints, neuralgia, and rheumatic pain.
Aloe Vera – is considered to have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it beneficial for sciatica sufferers. Aloe Vera contains plant sterols, which are known for being helpful with inflammation. The leaves of the Aloe Vera plant contain a gel-like substance that can be applied directly to the skin. Studies of Aloe Vera have found that Aloe Vera can help with reducing inflammation and help with the pain that follows the inflammation.
Aloe Vera contains many vitamins and minerals that are essential in helping to repair damaged cells and tissue.
For joints and muscles, Aloe Vera can be applied topically on the affected area or taken as an oral supplement. Aloe Vera juice contains acemannan, a polysaccharide that has anti-inflammatory properties. It also exhibits neuroprotective effects. These effects may help in reducing sciatic nerve pain.
Menthol – can be derived naturally from peppermint or be synthetically produced. Menthol cools and acts as a local anesthetic. It effectively relieves pain in all joint and muscle problems.
It has an analgesic effect and is effectively used against pain in sciatica, joint and muscle pain, back pain, rheumatic pains, arthritis, osteoarthritis, and all problems related to joints, bones, and muscles. Menthol is an active ingredient that works to block pain receptors and helps relieve pain in the soft tissue and joints. The higher the menthol percentage, the stronger the formula.
Best creams for sciatica pain
Here is the list of the best creams for sciatica pain:
1. ACURAFLEX cream
- contains an effective formula of 100% natural ingredients known for their fast and powerful action on acute and chronic pain caused by inflammations, injuries, and degenerative conditions such as arthritis, sciatica, and osteoporosis.
- It will help quickly reduce or eliminate pain and stiffness, increase the mobility of joints and muscles, speed up the healing of sprain injuries.
- The ingredients of Acuraflex cream are exclusive of plant origin and, in addition to plant extracts, they contain vitamins, minerals, and essential oils.
- It contains as many as 13 active plants, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Acuraflex cream contains a proper, effective ratio of herbs, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and medicinal essential oils of high-quality extraction such as Curcuma, Tumeric, Aloe Vera, Menthol, etc..
- It does not cause side effects, nourishes the skin, and has a pleasant smell.
2. Deep Heat
- is a fast-acting, pain-relieving cream
- Its actions are based on pain-relieving + heating that provides targeted, warming relief at the site of pain.
- Deep Heat Heat Rub contains the asprin -like drug methyl salicylate for effective pain relief and warming ingredients that increase blood flow and provide soothing pain relief.
- It is recommended for the relief of muscular pains and stiffness including rheumatic pain, back pain, sciatica, fibrositis, and sprains.
- Its ingredients are Methyl salicylate, Menthol, Eucalyptus, and, Turpentine.
- with its triple effect, Voltarol Gel relieves pain, reduces inflammation, and helps speed up recovery.
- It brings targeted local relief for pain and swelling (inflammation) in muscles, back and neck.
- In addition, the gel relieves pain in joints, sprains, strains, and bruises, as well as minor sports injuries.
- Voltarol Back and Muscle Pain Relief Gel contains a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) called diclofenac which targets pain at its source. The Emulgel technology helps the gel to penetrate deeply into the skin to enhance the delivery of diclofenac to the point of pain. The gel works by blocking the production of some of the body’s chemicals that cause swelling (inflammation), pain, and tenderness.
- Its main substance is Diclofenac Diethylammonium, Diethylamine, Carbomers, Cetomacrogol, Cocoyl Capryloccaprate, Isopropyl alcohol, Liquid paraffin.
4. Ibuprufen Gel
- Painkiller that is used to alleviate pain and inflammation
- Used topically, Ibuprofen gel is an effective treatment for many common conditions including sciatica, arthritic conditions and sports-related injuries.
- When Ibuprofen gel is used topically, it can provide local treatment of pain and inflammation.
- By treating the source of the pain directly you can get quick and effective relief.
- Its active ingredients are: Ibuprofen 5%, purified water, ethanol, propylene glycol, diispropanolamine, carbomer.
5. Tiger balm red
- This is a 100% natural product created using a combination of natural plant oils,including menthol, camphor, clove, cinnamon, peppermint, and cajeput – all of which are natural oils with tried and true medicinal properties.
- The key benefits of tiger balm red are caused by its strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects, which are instantly recognizable since the balm will create a warm sensation when applied that will soon cause the rubbed muscles to relax. You can use tiger balm red to treat your occasional back pain or your sciatica pain, and even to effectively manage chronic conditions such as tendinitis and arthritis.
6. Abluo’s SC2000 Cream
- Developed for people suffering from sciatica.
- The deep penetrating oils penetrate the body, helping to reduce inflammation, loosening both nerve fibers and muscles for trapped spinal cord to slip back to its proper state.
- The cream helps to reduce the inflammation in and around the spinal column.
- Ingredients are sunflower seed oil (Helianthus annuus), glyceryl stearate, potassium sorbate,thyme essential oil (Thymus vulgaris), lavender essential oil (Lavandula angustifolia), pine essential oil (Pinus sylvestris) and vitamin-e oil (Tocopherol).
Read more about best sciatica treatment here.